Wednesday 13 March 2013

I'm The Most Popular Actor In Nigeria - Nollywood Actor Chiwetalu Agu


I call him "osusu ikpo ikpo" (a cliche from one of his numerous movies), whatever that means, he's so hilarious, and no matter what, he always keep a straight face. He said he's the most popular actor in Nigeria, do you agree? 
Nollywood actor cum comedian, Chiwetalu Agu, is someone who has carved a niche for himself and he has many awards to show for his hard work. He speaks with Adunola Oladapo on his life as a comedian/actor and the movie industry among other issues. Excerpts:

As a producer, do you agree that sexual harassment actually exists in Nollywood as alleged by female actresses?

What I see happening has to do with nature, not just Nollywood. For instance, if you are passing along the road, and see an attractive lady, will you not turn your neck to her direction to have a second glance? Everybody likes beautiful things. Men particularly appreciate beautiful women, and our Nollywood ladies are well- endowed.
But then, it pervades all facets of the society. What of the situation in which government officials organise girls, popularly called (weekend chicks) every weekend to have fun where money exchanges hands in bundles because they get this money so freely. They throw the money as if it is of no value again and when some of them can’t sleep with them because of their old age, they just sit down in their hotel room and order the ladies to cat walk or dance nude before them.
It is not peculiar to Nollywood alone, I repeat; it has to do with nature.
Would you say God has been kind to you as an actor?
It has been beautiful and wonderful all through. I will say I’m the only person given the most popular award in Nigeria and till tomorrow, I am still the most popular actor. Look, no actor in Nigeria does what I’m doing; they don’t infuse the entertainment, they don’t. I have serious reason to thank God for what I am and where I am today; where every institution is looking for my endorsements.
There’s a new telecommunication company coming to Nigeria, they are looking for me to run their billboards adverts and we are still talking about the price, but it is not okay yet. It goes on to show that today is far better than yesterday.
Can you tell us about your family and what has kept your home intact in spite of your busy schedule and the fact that you are famous?
I pity those who did not use God as their foundation before they entered into marriage. When God is the foundation, marriage will last, even close to 100 years. It’s the woman that holds the family not the man, and a bad wife brings forth a bad father. My family is doing well by the grace of God. I have an understanding wife; she is very calm and kind. 
This is a woman I will like to marry if there is another world. She gives me happiness and joy. She is very religious and God- fearing. I have five children, three boys, two girls and a household of 10 which I must feed everyday by the grace of God. It is a very happy home, they don’t joke with God, oh yes! That’s our first foundation and I want to say it has been God, love and understanding that has kept my home.
Why do you usually use comic clichés in your movies and do you coin them yourself or from the scripts?
My usage of slangs or clichés in each film has made me unique and a household name in Nigeria and among Nollywood admirers abroad. I have come to realise that humour is a unique vehicle in projecting Nigerian culture as well as establishing the Nollywood brand.
And to the glory of God, my style has enlisted me as one of the outstanding comedians who have contributed to the development of Nollywood as attested to by Professor Femi Shaka of the University of Port Harcourt. As a veteran in this industry, all I need is for the producer to tell me the role to act and once I go through the script, the hilarious clichés come naturally. It is God- given.
You act wicked roles mostly, though with some comic touch. Has this anything to do with your real personality?
I must tell you that the two are opposite, because like my mother will say, that ‘she knows the son she bore to be a gentle man, whether he acts a wicked role or not, whenever he comes home, he remains the gentle Chiwetalu Christian Agu that I gave birth to’.
That goes to tell you that what I’m doing has to do with talent because years back, I can’t believe I could act a wicked role to the extent that people will marvel. But as the years went by, I got used to playing wicked roles and even put mastery in my acting. I didn’t know I would go to the extent of becoming a master in this role.
Has such roles affected people’s perception of your real person and have you been taken to task before?
Oh yes, a lot of time. People have accosted my mum several times asking if her son is really that bad, but she will always tell them it’s just a make- believe character. Maybe because I act the role so well, some people feel I am actually wicked but I want to say here that I am a very gentle person and can’t hurt a fly. In movies, I am only doing my job professionally. So, the role is a big contrast from my real personality.
You are no doubt a veteran, with over 31 years experience. If you are to compare Nollywood then and now, how will you rate the industry?
No, Nollywood has expanded; in fact, we have developed from where we used to be previously. Back in the 80s, it was nothing to write home about because at that time, one was earning N5 as artiste fee. Then, they would prepare voucher and send it to the accounts, audit and cash offices and it will stay for about three weeks before one could get the so-called N5.
But then, one was being influenced more by the passion at that time, not the remuneration. That’s why one was able to sustain it until we hit the boom, there is a boom today. I have received numerous calls today from people who want to join Nollywood asking me how to go about it, even students that are in different areas of study are switching over to Theatre Arts and the arts generally.
So, you are saying that acting is not financially lucrative?
Acting avails you opportunities and that is why everyone wants to be part of it. The glamour, benefits are there even when you aren’t given fantastic pay but doors are open because actors are sought after. Everybody wants to associate with us.
For instance, Governor Godswill Akpabio of Akwa Ibom State told his ADC that he will want me to attend his inauguration. Governor Akpabio asked me, “what was that movie you did where red cap was coming from the sky and perching on people’s head and you will ask the person to prepare to leave this world? You are going to die.”
He asked me the slang I used there. I told him ‘Igba nni na ofe’. When I said that, the governor in the course of laughter almost slipped and had to be supported. Even the former Governor of Kogi State, Alhaji Idris Abubakar, hosted me; it has availed me the opportunity to meet many state governors. If you look at this very well, you will see that it’s worth more than the financial remuneration. The national and global recognition is there, which is better thanthe money, if you know what I mean.
How many films have you featured in and which is the most thrilling to you?
To be modest, I have done over 500 productions. I call them productions because music and some other things are involved. For the best actor award, a particular movie wasn’t pointed at. Even when I got the most popular actor award by the Catholic Church of Nigeria coordinated by Reverend Father Ofor, they assessed many movies that I have done before they honoured me.
But the ZAFA London awards were for the movie entitled, ‘Maidens’, The catch point was (‘etelu ugba etelu ose’). People don’t just assess a particular movie; they are interested in the catchphrase because of the fact that in every movie, there must be a catchphrase that must make you laugh.
The reality today is that my fans are no longer interested in the kind of English I use but are interested in the kind of clichés that I have come out with. Whether I pass on a powerful message or not, they are interested in that aspect of entertainment. I am glad that God has used me as an instrument to bring joy into many homes not just in Africa, but outside Africa.
Can you give us insight into your background?
My name is Chiwetalu Agu, I hail from Amokwe in Udi Local Government Area of Enugu State. I was born 5th March, 1956 in Enugu, Enugu State. Basically, I have spent about 31 years in this profession with my tutelage in NTA and the then Anambra Television, ATV Channel 50 of old Anambra State. I schooled at St Lukes’Primary School, Ogui Nike, College of Immaculate Conception, CIC, both in Enugu, Wisent College, West Germany.
I joined this profession in 1981 when I came back to Nigeria. I had my own theatre group known as the ‘Inspirers’ back then and I acted in many NTA progammes, like ‘Ikoro’, produced by Joe Onyekwere.
In 2002, I was honoured with the best actor award in Nollywood, also the most popular actor in 2009 and in 2012, I was given the Nollywood award for best actor in indigenous movie (non-English speaking language).
With the number of years you have put into this profession, will you consider yourself rich, has it been very lucrative?
Look, I am one actor that might not be too wealthy, but I am fun to watch any day, any time and that is why my fans so much believe in me. To the glory of God, acting puts food on my table and pays my bills. I enjoy what I am doing. It is the passion that drives me on.

No comments:

Post a Comment